Home Forums Forum FLA over the last 15 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What does everyone think of the albums released over all these years?
    for myself I like IED,Airmech,Echogenetic and Mechanical Soul.

holonmusic
    Participant

IED and Airmech definitely had some really strong moments. Echogenetic was ok, Mechanical Soul didn’t work for me at all.

ruccola
    Participant

I friggin love Echogenetic, but Mechanical Soul didn’t stick with me at all. IED had some awesome tracks on it like “Shifting Through the Lens” and “Afterlife”.

vinnie245
    Participant

IED – Decent with a few great tracks and a couple that didnt fit at all (Stupidity with Al is very slapdash)
    Echogenetic – Very good return to their electronic roots, probably their best since Implode.
    Airmech & Warmech – Good soundtrack albums that contribute to the respective games pretty well
    Wake up the Coma – Decent with a few suspect guest tracks (Rock Me Amadeus is out of place and Chris Connelly in Spitting Wind sounds like a wannabe David Bowie)
    Mechanical Soul – Very mediocre and half assed, none of the tracks stand out, it includes a rework from Artificial Soldier that sounds almost exactly like the original and includes a remix of a track from the previous album, rather they just spent all their energy on the Noise Unit album.

silikonanswer
    Participant

For me is Echogenetic. Very strong album. Wake Up The Coma was also very good except for Rock me Amadeus.

dOGulas
    Participant

I liked Mechanical Soul well enough, but the fact that it’s basically just a collection of random techno tracks from Rhys with Bill’s vox and occasional production makes it feel much more like it’s an experiment than a full fledged album.

jon mindphaser
    Participant

The two best tracks on Mechanical Soul are the two where they were actually in the studio together I believe..

Nothing beats TNI for me as I still wonder how the tracks were conceived/produced and it is the best lyrically

nidi
    Participant

i mostly agree with vinnie245 …

dOGulas
    Participant

NU’s Deviator and FLA’s Mechanical Soul should have been switched. Dev feels much more like a fully fleshed out cohesive album, while MS feels much more experimental.

Redamjam
    Participant

With Deviator, Mechanical Soul and Cheeba I think any line that may have existed between FLA and NU has now been eliminated. I’m still getting used to Cheeba.

Apart from a couple of songs, Echogenetic is a very strong album and IED also, but the strongest songs on a guitar-based album are Afterlife and Downfall. With Wake Up The Coma and Mechanical Soul, the quality has dipped somewhat.

Aren’t we due a new Delerium album soon? (I’ve erased Mythology from my memory!!!).

Redamjam
    Participant

@jon

‘The two best tracks on Mechanical Soul are the two where they were actually in the studio together I believe…’

Which tracks were they in the studio together for?

jon mindphaser
    Participant

Unknown and Alone I think

EricNS
    Participant

For me “Echogenetic” / “Echoes” and the “Airmech” soundtracks were a fantastic era for FLA. These albums are extremely creative and inspiring.

What came after was a disappointment. Once Rhys took over, FLA became formulaic, repetitive and totally dispensable. I’m just fed up with these numbing techno tracks. They lack the orchestral quality of “Implode” or the intricate arrangements of “Echogenetic”. It’s mono-expressive techno music, void of strong melodies and contrast (the first 10 seconds often sound exactly like the last 10 seconds). Whether these tracks are labelled “Noise Unit”, “FLA” or “Rhys Fulber”, they all sound the same. Like vinnie245 said, nothing stands out on “Mechanical Soul”. While listening to it, I was either bored or annoyed.

I wish Leeb would focus on creating ONE strong album. There’s enough ingredients in the last 3 releases (“Mechanical Soul”, “Deviator” and “Cheeba…”) to create a SINGLE excellent album, to the level of “Echogenic”. Some sort of Best Of / Redux would be welcome actually.

Anyway, I’m glad Leeb is still active and productive at his age (beyond 60).

Redamjam
    Participant

Thanks!

henry
    Participant

honestly, I haven’t been into much any of it. not a fan of the “sound”, which, really, is what makes FLA, FLA. At least, historically. Each album since AS has been less and less sonically interesting.

But that’s true I think of a lot of electronic artists… as they mature they’re less inclined to experiment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.